How do I add a custom domain, a CNAME, or A record for my custom domain?
If you've already purchased a domain from a registrar, you can totally add it to your Glitch project!
To add a custom domain:
- Within the Project Editor view, click on the 'Tools' menu located on the lower-left side of the page.
- Select 'Custom Domains'.
- Enter your custom domain URL (www.website.com) and click 'Add Domain'. You'll get a
shw.ioURL in return, like
dzepryvvixf36q0k.shw.io. Copy this information.
- Now, go to your domain name registrar's website and create a CNAME entry using the copied URL. If you've misplaced the
shw.iourl you were provided, not to worry! You can use
glitch.edgeapp.netinstead - it's completely interchangeable with any
Note that visiting the shw.io URL itself in the browser will display 'Not Found' - it's not intended to be used directly, only as part of a CNAME.
To add a CNAME:
Here are documentation links for how to add a CNAME record with some popular domain name registrars:
Using an ANAME if your domain name registrar requires an IP address:
- If you want to use the "bare domain" you purchased for your custom domain (for example,
www.website.com) most registrars won't allow that because it would break the internet (see this for a slightly geeky but pretty understandable explanation of why).
- In this case, it's possible your registrar supports a custom DNS record type like ALIAS or ANAME which will serve the same purpose.
- If not, and your registrar doesn't allow you to use a URL but instead needs an IP address, then you can get the IP address needed by pinging the
shw.ioURL you were given. You can use a service like Ping.eu to do so. You should get an IP address similar to
220.127.116.11. You can then create an A record for it on your domain registrar's website.
- Here are documentation links for how to add an A record with some popular domain name registrars: